Monday 5th September 2016
Welcome back to St. Michael’s after the summer break. We would also like to welcome our new teaching assistants, Miss Kier Y3 and Miss Wright Y2. We wish everyone a happy and fulfilling Autumn Term.
SCHOOL DEVELOPMENT OVER THE SUMMER
Mr and Mrs Willshire have worked hard during the summer and our pond area now has a dipping platform which will greatly enhance the provision for our children to study pond life and related topics. We thank them for their time and energy!
Year 2 will move into their brand new classroom on Monday 12th September. In the meantime, their classroom has been set up in the school hall.
We are delighted that every classroom is now equipped with a 65inch Prowise interactive touch screen which incorporates latest technology and visual clarity.
The staff enjoyed two training days last week. We looked at the discipline policy, the use of both positive and negative Do Jo’s in behaviour management to secure consistency across school and the teaching of guided reading and maths for this year. We will be focusing on the development of the science curriculum in 2016. Miss Flood is our science lead.
On Friday 2nd September Tim Nelson, a Focus Education consultant, worked with us to continue the work we have already done on collaborative learning, questioning and independence and resilience in the classroom.
How does a Growth Mind-set Help Your Child?
– Helps pupils to embrace challenge
– Encourages intrinsic motivation
– Develops Collaborative Skills
– Promotes steady progress and high scholastic achievement and outcomes
– Builds skills for high level of achievement beyond school life
I put an interesting ‘discussion starter ‘article on Twitter to start the year.
To remind you of the schedule of class meetings:
|Monday||5th September||Y1||3.00 p.m.|
|Tuesday||6th September||Y2||3.00 p.m.|
|Wednesday||7th September||Y3||3.00 p.m.|
|Thursday||8th September||Y5/Y6||3.00 p.m.|
|Friday||11th September||Y4||3.00 p.m.|
I hope you are able to attend these sessions to gain an overview for the year with your child’s class teacher and ask any questions you may have.
St Michael’s staff will continue to use the Do Jo site to contact you about class activities, send messages and share photographs of class activities. I will continue to use school story to contact you about sports event cancellations or any urgent last minute messages. I would be grateful if you could let me know if for any reason you are not receiving these messages.
- Please let staff know briefly at 8.50am of anything which may affect your child’s wellbeing that day in order that we can support your child appropriately during the day.
- Prescribed Medicines should be brought to the office and the appropriate forms completed. (We are prepared for ‘stings’ at this time of year by holding Bite and Sting relief in the medical supplies – please inform the office if you know your child may be sensitive to this type of treatment.)
- Lost property is located in the cupboard in the foyer. Please let the teacher or office know if anything has gone missing, then we will endeavour to find it for you during the school day.
- Please make an appointment either via the office or class Do Jo if you need a longer appointment with the teacher.
- If you sign up on the website any newsletter will be e-mailed to you automatically.
- The significant dates for parents’ diaries are now on the website to support those who need to book time off work.
See the school website for notable dates (these were sent out at the end of the summer term) together with all the school calendars. Thanks to the parent who spotted we were in on Good Friday according to the 2017/2018 Calendar. We will now finish on Thursday 29th March 2018 and close for Summer on Wednesday 25th July 2018.
|Friday 23rd September 2016||Michaelmas Fair
To be held in School
|3.30 – 6.00 p.m.|
|Friday 30th September 2016||Macmillan Coffee morning. We would
welcome donations of cakes. Mrs Hilton will be running this.
May I remind parents that the new uniform continues to be phased in. I am keen that all the children wear our PE kit to encourage smartness and uniformity. Once your child outgrows his/her yellow PE t-shirt, please purchase a replacement, which now has a school logo, from our suppliers, Stitch Design.
School will continue to support MacMillan annually. School will also support Francis House at Christmas by selling their small gift items.
These will be based on Christian Values displayed in the hall around the ‘tree’. We will continue to welcome visitors and also look forward to welcoming Rev Huw to take Monday assemblies with staff and children.
Update of contact/medical information
If your details have changed in any way, e-mail, mobile or home tel. no., address, marital status, child’s medical information or emergency contact, please inform the school office.
Thank you for all your payments received via Parent Pay. Please be reminded that all sports clubs commence next week, Monday 12th September.